I’ve been buying a lot of apples lately. Not really sure why; I suppose it’s because they actually get eaten and they’ve been on sale soooo… in the cart they go. Anyway, I decided to make some apple crisp the other day with Girlie’s help. I busted out my trusty Better Homes and Garden Cook Book. You know, the red and white gingham one that it seems every bride gets as a wedding gift. I love that cookbook. It is my favorite. If I went down to one cookbook, that would be it. In fact, I probably should just de-clutter and get rid of the others because I really don’t ever use them…
Anyway, back to the topic at hand.
So I get out my cookbook for the fruit crisp recipe. Then adapted and made it my own. I decided that since I’m pregnant, I deserve extra crisp – here’s how I made my Apple Extra Crisp.
- 5-6 medium apples, cut, cored and peeled
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup oats (I used quick-cooking)
- 1 overflowing cup brown sugar barely packed (I really don’t like the process of packing the sugar, thus I just pour it in the measuring cup and pat down a little)
- 1/2 cup flour (I use a mixture of whole wheat and white)
- 1 overflowing tsp. cinnamon
- 1 overflowing tsp. nutmeg
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (we had these from the trees in our yard, but you could use walnuts or almonds and they would taste good too)
1. Preheat oven to 375. Cut and peel apples and place them in the bottom of a 9×9 baking dish (I used glass).
2. Pour sugar over the apples. In a bowl, mix together oats, brown sugar, flour, nutmeg and cinnamon. Cut in the butter then mix it with your hands to get a crumbly, yummy topping.
3. Sprinkle the topping over the apples. Sprinkle pecans over the top.
4. Bake for 30 minutes.
As you can see, I’m not a “precise” cook. I love cinnamon and nutmeg, so I figure a little extra will never hurt right? This was soooo yummy! Crunchy on the top and warm and gooey underneath. Next time, I’ll have to make sure I have ice cream to put with it!
And just so you know, the leftovers heated up are pretty darn good too! Let me know how you like it!
One thought on “Apple Extra Crisp”
Ohhhh yeah! This is a great breakfast, too! haha
I love ♥ my BC cookbook, it’s ALL I ever use! It’s looking a bit weathered after over 24 yrs. But it’s definitely my go to book for all main meals and desserts.
TFS this, Kris….:-)