Well, remember when I talked about how to BREATHE when things go off course? Well, That’s what I’ve been doing since the middle of May. I’ve been breathing, trying to focus more on my being in the world rather than my doing in the world. This summer brought big, unexpected changes. This summer brought a transition I wasn’t expecting. As of July 1, I began serving a local church again. Pastoring a church was not in the plan this year! It was not a part of my goals, nor was it a part of what I had envisioned.
And yet when I got the call, I had total peace about it. Still do. I have confidence that God has me in just the right place.
So, I have spent the last few months focusing on being, resting, embracing small steps in a new direction, attending to new priorities, remembering what is true, holding onto hope, and being a person of encouragement in the midst of transition. And doing all that means that goals took a back seat. I’m ok with that.
Now that I feel like I’m starting to settle into a new rhythm, it feels like the right time to circle back around to my goals, see where I am, and re-evaluate. It is time to make adjustments that are appropriate for my new, current season.
Below are my 2022 goals, what I’ve done so far, the adjustments I need to make going forward, and my plan for this month (September).
- I will read 36 books currently on my shelf by Christmas 2022, so that I can learn, grow, and relax. (Finished 16 books and written 13 reviews. I’ve mostly stuck with books on my shelf, but added in a few freebie novels I picked up along the way. )
- I will attend counseling twice a month, so that I can better know myself and love my family well. (I attend personal counseling every 4 weeks. I have attended in conjunction with a family member for a second time during each month. This goal has been a priority)
- I will have at least 30 minutes of healthy movement 3 times a week so that I can fully live life and love my family well. (Over the last few months, this goal has taken a back seat. I’ve tried to go to the Y with my family. I’ve tried to go on my own. We got a new dog that needs walked, so that has helped. My body and mind are showing the effects of the goal having been set aside)
- I will pamper myself at least once a week so that I can remember I am worthy of care. (I have been good about keeping my monthly massage appointment. I took my June and August personal retreats. Otherwise though, this goal has not been a priority. My spirit feels it.)
- I will journal at least 5 times per week so that I can process my life, mature in faith, and remember my growth. (I finished using the Present Over Perfect Guided Journal and have shared several posts with my thoughts. I started reading The Grace-Filled Life: 52 Devotions to Warm Your Heart and Guide Your Path. I have been journaling the questions at the end of each reading and will share some of those in the future. I have not been journaling 5 days a week though and my spirit feels it.)
- I will have three 1-1 dates each month so that I can strengthen and enjoy my relationships with family and friends. (Monthly date nights with Bill have been a priority. I’m using errand time and activity running to have 1-1 time with kids. Friend dates have been lacking.)
- I will plan one family trip per quarter so that we can rest and play together. (We took a family racetrack trip to Indianapolis and stayed in a hotel. We took a family racetrack trip to Richmond, VA and camped.)
- I will complete the coaching certification process this year so that I can help others as they lead a life worthy of their calling. (The coaching class is finished. I have a reciprocal coaching relationship with another “graduate”, have offered pro bono coaching in several ways, and started a group coaching cohort through work.)
- I will develop a guest speaking/preaching ministry so that I can develop a secondary income stream and live into my calling. (Well, I’m preaching every Sunday now, so this goal is no longer applicable.)
- I will save $$$ by Christmas so that we can be prepared in case of an unexpected life emergency. (I am way behind on this goal and in fact, have gone backward.)
So, that is where I am now. And honestly, looking at it closer, I don’t feel as far “behind” as I thought I was. Of course I’m not meeting all the goals. Life changed! And that is ok. As I get into a new groove, here is specific plan for September.
- I will read 36 books
currently on my shelfby Christmasthe end of 2022, so that I can learn, grow, and relax.
- Read Advent Conspiracy, The Next Right Thing, and Entangled.
- Schedule 4 hours each week to read.
- Write a book review post when done.
- I will attend counseling twice a month, so that I can better know myself and love my family well.
- I will have at least 30 minutes of healthy movement 3 times a week so that I can fully live life and love my family well.
- Attend Mon/Friday 360 class 4 times.
- Have family time at the YMCA twice this month.
- Take a family hike.
- Walk Rocky at least once a day, 5 days each week.
- I will pamper myself at least once a week so that I can remember I am worthy of care.
- Massage on September 8th.
- Get a haircut
- Get a pedicure.
- Have two Big Bang Theory binge sessions.
- I will journal at least 5 times per week so that I can process my life, mature in faith, and remember my growth.
- Use quiet morning time to journal.
- Finish the The Grace-Filled Life devotional guide and journal about the thought questions.
- I will have three 1-1 dates each month so that I can strengthen and enjoy my relationships with family and friends.
- John Crist comedy tour date night with Bill on September 10th.
- Use errands and other kids activities as an opportunity to have 1-1 time with other kids.
- Have a coffee date with a friend.
- I will plan one family trip per quarter so that we can rest and play together.
- Include travel funds in September budget.
- Decide on family trip for fall.
- I will complete the coaching certification process this year so that I can help others as they lead a life worthy of their calling.
- Meet once with reciprocal coaching client.
- Lead two group coaching cohort sessions.
- Follow-up on pro-bono coaching hours previously offered.
- Post a free coaching offer on social media.
I will develop a guest speaking/preaching ministry so that I can develop a secondary income stream and live into my calling.This goal is no longer applicable.
- I will save $$$ by Christmas so that we can be prepared in case of an unexpected life emergency.
- File taxes.
- $$$ to savings.
- Close out May-August budgets; create September and October budgets.
- Submit travel reimbursement and put it into savings.
- Submit work expense receipts for reimbursement and put it into savings.
Hopefully, I can get back into the goal swing of things! How are you doing now that we are 3/4 of the way through the year? What is your plan for September? Comment below and tell me what you will be working on!